kidattypewriter

Sunday, December 05, 2004

I'm Not Pedantic

If I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times. People tell me that, since I'm a Virgo (born on September 15th) then I must be pedantic.

Well, in the first place, there's no way you'd be able to make a judgement about my personality by simply referring to something as simple as a star chart.
In the second place, and more importantly, I'm not pedantic. I'm fastidious. And if you really want to find out more about my character, then I suggest you stop looking at the horoscopes, and start looking in respectable scientific sources, like the dictionary:

pe·dan·tic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p-dntk)
adj.
Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules: a pedantic attention to details.


fas·tid·i·ous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (f-std-s, f-)
adj.
Possessing or displaying careful, meticulous attention to detail.
Difficult to please; exacting.
Excessively scrupulous or sensitive, especially in matters of taste or propriety.


Glad I could clear that up.

6 comments:

Gemnastics said...

HAHAHAHA. there's no getting away from it.

Anonymous said...

That's like all the pricks who say I must be stubborn since I'm a Taurean.

I don't know how many times I've had to clear things up. I'm not stubborn at all, just obstinate.

Lioness said...

I'd say I'm fastidious as well were it not for the fact that for some reason I associate it with dull little grey men (I'm sure you're not, I'm sure you're very bright and frollicky, just explaining my prejudices here); I am obstinate though, not really pedantic - ahh, but at times a bit of a snob. I'm a Pisces so I'm "unduly sensitive" (and hell, I am at that) but I can also kick ass so my something must be on... Mars? (my apologies for the language, haven't yet figured out whether this is a swear-friendly blog though the voting on the sidebar makes me think it might just be - and who the hell says ZOUNDS, for pity's sake, and WHAT is it? Have pity on those whose mother tongue is not English - though why ZOUNDS is English I'll never understand, maybe it isn't?)(Shutting up now, it's simply that I think I like you.)

TimT said...

What's so funny, Gem???? ;)

Lioness - Zounds! means 'On Gods wounds!' So not so much a swear word nowadays; though in Shakespearean times, it would have been considered blasphemy - ergo, swear word.

Lioness said...

Thanks. That shows you how illiterate I am. But I'm a foreigner so maybe it doesn't count? Still sounds bloody silly!

Gemnastics said...

The empathy I feel for you.

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive