A few months ago, I ended up in Melbourne more or less by accident. Now, I've finally moved into a place on Victoria Street in Brunswick, so it looks like I'm stuck here.
Not that that's a bad thing. I've been enjoying Melbourne immensely. It is, amongst other things, an exceedingly geometrical city. The streets are long and straight, and intersect one another at ninety degree angles; the buildings are delightfully cubic.
This makes for some interesting sculptures:
The Brunswick neighbourhood that I've moved into is still fairly working class, though I'm sharing a house with a writer and an accounts manager. Most of the buildings around here are either warehouses or converted warehouses:
There's a few cafes down the road, though down this end of Lygon Street they have become a little sparse. My favourite is the cafe owned by the fat Italian man that never seems to have anybody in there. When I paid for a coffee there a few mornings ago, he said:
"Thank you, Gentlemen,"
Using the plural form, making me wonder where the rest of Me had gone.
Things I can recommend:
Borscht soup and Rye bread at Scherezade (Acland Street, St Kilda) on a Saturday afternoon;
Secondhand books on Lygon Street, Carlton (just about any time)
And cocktails at Nancy Bar (Northcote) on a Friday evening.
And here are some of the best Melbourne blogs:
After Grog Blog
Someone in Melbourne
Proud to be Right
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- Comment on the Comment
- Age Rage
- The Worst Magician In The World ...
- No Comment
- No Words are Good Words
- RUN! RUN! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, RUN WHILE YOU STILL...
- Walkers Walk in the Walk Against Want
- You Young Whippersnappers
- Where Am I?
- Thought For The Day
- More Art, More Soul
- Coat Hangery Meditations
- Writers Are Such Interesting People
- I Have Discovered
- Art and Soul
- Community Service Announcement
- Nutty Story
- Thought For The Day
- ▼ July (23)