kidattypewriter

Friday, May 05, 2006

Blogger Is Sensitive To The Needs of Disabled People

If you click into the comments box below, you'll notice that blogger has added a new icon below the word verification box:



If you hover the cursor over the image, a message appears:

Listen and type the numbers you hear.

Blogger apparently goes by the logic that people in wheelchairs are also unable to read properly. This would come as a great surprise to people actually in wheelchairs. On the other hand, it's very thoughtful of blogger to provide them with this new disability: if people in wheelchairs play their cards right, they could find themselves in possession of a lucrative new income stream from governments.

I'd like to suggest that blogger adds not one, but several images to its comments page ...



If you are in a wheelchair, you are clearly unable to see. Please click on the image of a man in a wheelchair that you are unable to see in order to activate the audio recognition code.



If you are missing one, two, or more hands, you should have no problems with using the keyboard. Blogger apologises for any convenience caused.



Oh my God, you're missing a head! Please ensure that your voice recognition software is attached before continuing.



Fi yuo have dylsexia, you may also have prblemso with tpying cmometns on this site.
pleasE be carfeul wtih your spelilgn, as ew owuld not wtan yuo to make an y spllingg erorrorrorrs.

7 comments:

Focko Smitherman said...

I was wondering about the little disabled icon, but I can't get mine to talk to me.

I had initially thought it must be a "disable word verification" function, which I thought was very odd, seeing as it would be counter-productive to the purpose of word verification.

It's still a puzzler: a deaf person wouldn't be able to hear the instructions, and a blind person wouldn't know that there's an icon sitting there just waiting to help them with verbal instructions.

*Snort*, go bloody figure.

Cazzie!!! said...

ROFL !!!

Caz said...

Oops, my bad, very, very, very bad - just realised that I was logged in as Drunka when I left that first comment.

Don't tell on me when he gets back; please don't!

TimT said...

Thanks guys!

JGM/Caz, according to conversation here, you might be able to get it working by attaching speakers. Ha, not that it matters, really.

Caz said...

Timmy - I have swish flat screen, with speakers that work perfectly when using Skype, or when listening to video streams, or whatnot. All a bit beyond me, technically, speaking.

TimT said...

Hmmm, who knows, then?

So long as you're not in a wheelchair and/or blind and/or deaf, I guess it doesn't matter, anyway.

My only disability is one I reckon I share with a great majority of the population - total inability to understand anything about technology, apart from 'plug it in and press the 'on' button!'

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. Disableds are going to want to comment on blog posts that they haven't even been able to read? Who came up with that?

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive