kidattypewriter

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Retroflective

I used to look back on things I said and did five, ten years ago with horror and remorse. Recently, I have found myself looking back more on things I said and did five or ten days ago with horror and remorse. This has changed, in recent weeks, to a tendency to look back on things I have said or done one or two days ago - often quite small things, I might add - with horror and remorse.

Where will it all end? I expect, quite soon, I will be deeply ashamed by things done and said as they happen. And then, the cycle will continue, with me anticipating tomorrow's events with dread and anguish. By the end of my life, I guess I will live in constant terror of the far distant future. Which is fair enough, I suppose, as I'll be dead by then.

On the bright side, at least I won't be worrying about my past anymore.

Responsibility so weighs me down.
Things said or done long years ago,
Or things I did not do or say
But thought that I might say or do,
Weigh me down, and not a day
But something is recalled,
My conscience or my vanity appalled.


- W.B. Yeats

5 comments:

ras said...

vanity hey, gotta love it


no wait, did i really say that?

i did?!


......shit :(

TimT said...

It's a little like saying 'I luuurve narcicissm', I guess.

Any excuse to quote Yeats. Yeats was a very vain man, but his wife knew how to take the piss out of him. I read this story once by a friend of his, about how for a week Yeats dreamt that he was surrounded by a smell of roses and with a woman singing to him, or something like that. Anyway, when he told this story to his friend, his wife immediately contradicted him; said, 'William, that's just that bottle of perfume I've been leaving on the bedhead', or something like that.

Still, Yeats got his own back. He made her write an entire book while under hypnotherapy ...

I'm not really going anywhere with this anecdote, just wanted to tell it.

ras said...

how did he make her write a whole book while under hypnotherapy

TimT said...

They were doing spirit dictation. They both went into trance states and then wrote or drew whatever came into their heads. Yeats liked what they were coming up with, so he made his wife sit down next night and continue. A lot of Yeats must have gone into it, because you find a whole tonne of poems and Yeats' philosophy in the book, too.

ras said...

ahh ok

I wonder if i could write a book underhypnotherapy

You teach me about this stuff tim and i'll talk to you about technology....

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive