The twitty trying to be witty ... - Some guy.
I was watching James Griffin interview Australian poet Dorothy Porter this morning. It was a profoundly unmemorable interview, but nevertheless, there was one moment I can recreate for you:
Porter: In the book, I use the universe as a metaphor for the human mind.
Griffin: Oscar Wilde said, "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
People with no wit of their own seem to make it a habit to borrow wit from others. I've done it often enough myself. Barely a day goes by without someone repeating words from Seinfeld or The Simpsons or some other famous or not-so-famous television show. Apparently, even drooling is funny if you drool like Homer Simpson.
But it's another thing entirely to quote the words of a more memorable personality, like Griffin does here, in a completely random fashion, as if the discussion you were having didn't even matter. Imagine if I did this while on a date with a girl:
Girl: So, what sort of music do you like?
Tim: Oscar Wilde said, "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
Girl: Um ... where did you say you came from again?
Tim: Shakespeare said, "Never, never, never, never, never!"
Girl: What the fucking hell are you talking about?
Tim: "By thy long grey beard, and glitt'ring eye/Wherefore stopp'st thou me?"- Coleridge.
Girl: (Slaps Tim in the face and leaves. )
Perhaps, when faced by people like Griffin who misquote people of more note, we should just apply the philosophy of Max in The Producers, and say to ourselves, "Shut up - he thinks he's witty". Or perhaps, just perhaps, we should look them in the eye, and give practical application to the old adage, telling them in the nicest possible way to kindly bugger off.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2015 (71)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- Spring Cleaning in Winter
- Here, Swear, and Everyswear
- Obligatory Self-Congratulatory Post: Tick!
- Would You Like To Be A Modernist?
- Review: Sarah Silverman
- Hair Today, More Tomorrow
- Why It's Usually Not A Good Idea To Write About In...
- Latin Lesson
- Important Thought About Foreign Policy
- Exhibitionism of a Cheap and Demeaning Nature
- An Eight Person Monologue
- Thinking About Thinking Some More
- The Writer to Bear Arms
- A Thoughtful Post
- Copywhiting Right
- What The Hell
- Jolly Follies with the Ruling Class
- More Peotry
- A Guide To The Guide to the Melbourne Internationa...
- An Explanation of Romance
- A Thought About Food
- Radio Notional
- Curious Ideas For Interviews
- The Pope's in Rome
- Sitting To Attention
- Black Hole Boobage
- A Review of the Previews: The Films You Don't Pay ...
- The Sounds of Nature #3
- The Wisdom of Tim
- Absolutely Degusting!
- Unspirational Mail
- Unquote of Note
- Misunderestimated Malapropositions
- The Adventures of Snidy - with Colourful Pictures!...
- ▼ July (35)
- ► 2005 (287)