Some Impressions Recently Noted Down Upon Exploring A Bookstore In The Suburbs:
SMELL: It smelled like hospital breakfast. (I stayed briefly in hospital as a kid after, I think, a particularly nasty attack of eczema, and some hospital smells have stuck with me ever since).
SIGHT: Almost walked past it, it blended in with the scenery too well! Always a good sign. Also, extremely disshevelled inside - books falling EVERYWHERE. Posters of philosophers and what not glared at me as I walked up the stairs. The books weren't really ordered particularly well. He'd even left a customer sitting on the floor amongst the scattered romance novels!
SOUND: They had some of that annoying melancholy jazz music playing that you get so often in bookstores - that sort of thing depresses me SO MUCH. To be fair, it was Jim McLeod's Jazz Track, so he may have had ABC Classic FM on all day, and I just happened to walk in at the wrong time.
FEEL: I'm not the sort of person that goes feeling up books, thankyouverymuch.
Except when in the privacy of my own home.
TASTE: I recommend you take a little mustard along with you, otherwise the paper's a little dry.
Not all of the books were to my taste, though I did like the copy of Galaxy sf magazine they were selling (had a sci-fi story in it with the inviting title of 'Femworld!')
I came away with a book of parliamentary anecdotes by Fred Daly, and some James Thurber short stories.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2014 (97)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- Grata Non Persona
- Inward, Christian Soldiers
- Geek Amnesia
- Extracts From the Journals of a Minor Comic Poet
- Ideologically Appropriate Sartorial #1
- An Observation
- Proper Gander
- Ways To Amuse Yourself #6
- Inappropriate Political Organisations
- Bun Mots
- Pedants' Corner
- Limited Sedition
- Improbable Working Hours
- The Boy and the Bug
- A Recently Reported Case of Lenny Henry Ism
- The Eternal Washing Pile
- J S Bach, Bohemian
- Possible Characters for Novels #4: Nonsequitur
- Two Sentences That Don't Make Sense
- Impressions Of a Bookstore
- The Discontents of the Book
- More Update Update!
- Toupee Grows Man!
- Possible Characters for Novels #3: Martin Martins
- Telephony and the Gentile Art of Abuse
- Writing Tip
- What the hell are you smiling at?
- Update Update
- A Letter To The Editor
- The History of Europe Presented as a Weather Repor...
- Part-time God
- Little Blog Bits
- Metaphors for the Modern World
- ▼ August (33)
- ► 2005 (287)