God, I hate them. You know who they are - I KNOW you know who they are. The people who lurk in office corners, in shady kitchens or by the bathroom, and smile and wave as you go past. Perhaps they'll innocently offer a greeting. 'Hello, Tim.' Or simperingly ask you, 'How are you, Tim?' How can you answer back? Your easiest solution is often to mutter something in pidgin-French and shuffle quickly into the bathroom before they say something else.
They are the true bastards of modern life. They are the People Who Know Your Name And Know You Don't Know Their Name. In fact, just in the past week, from these People Who Know Your Name And Know You Don't Know Their Name, I have received:
- Five greetings from the People Who Know Your Name And Know You Don't Know Their Name.
- Four hand waves with evil intent from the People Who Know Your Name And Know You Don't Know Their Name.
- Innumerable malicious looks, thinly disguised as cheery grins from the People Who Know Your Name And Know You Don't Know Their Name.
But why? Why do People Who Know Your Name And Know You Don't Know Their Name do this to you? Why, to put it bluntly, do the People Who Know Your Name And Know You Don't Know Their Name, act as if You Knew Their Name And You Are In Fact Very Good Friends With Them? Is it simply an assertion of their superiority over you? I suspect not: I suspect that People Who Know Your Name And Know You Don't Know Their Name are simply expressing their natural, misanthropic tendencies (everyone has them, after all) by going out of their way to piss off as many people in the office as possible: they are murdering with a grin.
And if you're in a misanthropic mood (and you probably are), you might like to try it yourself. Go up to a random person in the street, grin nefariously and wave with malicious intent, and leave them there - wondering who the bloody hell you are.
Pissing people off is one of the simplest pleasures a misanthrope has. And let's face it; people probably deserve it.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- AFL Grand Final
- I'll Give You Tattoos!
- A Brief Post About Figures of Speech
- Murdering With a Grin
- Egg-Nogging and Blogging: A Matter of Grave Concer...
- Quite, Unquite
- One Sunday Morning, There Was a Beatnik In My Awni...
- Breaking News: Laughing Man Laughs
- A Style in the While of S J Perelman
- Thoughts on Fossils From One Who May Someday Be a ...
- Congratulations, It's An Appendix
- Quote of the Day
- Law for the Lawless
- Nobel Prize in Chemistry and Physics Won By Andy's...
- In This Workplace, We Obey The Law of Gravity
- Another Cosmopolitan Experience in This Multicultu...
- A Defence of Doctor Who
- La Femme, La Gun, La Petit Kitten
- Cometh the Hour, Cometh the Duck
- Apropros of Nothing ...
- The Platonic Couch Meets Reality
- Lost in Thailand ...
- Fair and Balanced
- What I'm Reading
- Important News!
- Some Of The Lesser Known Sequels To Mein Kampf
- Important Announcement!
- What Does Google Know About Shakespeare?
- A Political Dilemma
- The Meme Scheme
- I Feel Like Radioactive Chicken Tonight
- Jolly Penguin Jape
- Vengeance of the Scaly Ones
- What's The Going Price on Sackcloth and Ashes?
- Meals Which Should Not Have Been Invented
- A Number of Television Shows Could Be Improved By ...
- The Age Melbourne Festivals
- Appointment, The Opposite Of
- How To Understand The Melbourne Writers' Festival
- So, Since It's Getting Late on a Saturday Night .....
- Amazing Jowl Man
- Blog News Presented As Tongue Twisters
- ▼ September (42)
- ► 2005 (287)