A Brief* History of International Funk Day
International Funk Day is a somewhat inaccurately titled week beginning every year on October 18, that is, if the participants remember to celebrate it. It is similar to regional festivals like the 'Mojo and Turnip Appreciation Afternoon of Wapping-on-Sea', in north England and the 'South-east-south Wyoming District Evening for Mutual Bohemian Admiration'.
The modern International Funk Day began way back in the mists of time, or at some point before then. Traditionally, participants in this 'Day of Funk' would roam the streets, looking for hippies to stir, some niks to beat, or some other type of suffix, prefix, or 'just any kind of fix, man'. (This quote is attributed to famous funk-man Joey 'Jo Jo' Joe of Joestown, Joesville, but he claims he was elsewhere at the time).
In the early years of International Funk Day, the proponents of funksterdom quickly distinguished themselves from the crowd of niks and hippies by a number of distinct, if not distinguished, terms. In the words of one famous funkster, 'The squares think it's hip to be a square! But I say it's hip to square a hip.' Nobody knew what this meant, which was rather comforting, as they were all stoned anyway.
A brief list of Funk Terminology follows:
Funkle = Funkster who may or may not be related to you, depending on whether you feel like admitting to it or not.
Funkamentalist = A person who preaches funk ('He preaches the gospel of funk - he does not feature the gospel of punk!' - anon.)
Funkoordinated = Being able to live the jive.
Funkwit = Non funky person. 'Person who acts like he has it, but he REALLY don't got it.'- anon
Funk Hair = Hairstyle. Kind of like punk hair, but kind of not.
Funklestein = A funkster who finks on another funkster for the greater good of funksterdom.
Funk Flunk = See Funkwit, above.
*Brief=Possibly longer than it deserves.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2014 (105)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- My Notions Recollected In Tranquility
- Notes from the Tropics
- The Curious History of the Man Who Looked Like Som...
- Off To Sydney
- Socialism: Is It a Political System or a New Age H...
- Seven Kinds of Sleep
- Banker Poetry
- Having the Weather Over For Breakfast
- Making The Facts Say What I Want Them To Say
- Rhymes About Various Poets
- Melbourne Streets - the Bookshop Count
- An Untitled Unquiry
- Going Winter For The Summer
- I Went to the Barber of Seville, And Didn't Even G...
- Conservative Calls Bunch of Trotskyites and Marxis...
- The Show And Me Just Happened To Bump Into One Ano...
- Irresponsible Propaganda
- Fat Controller Has Heart Attack, And Other Shockin...
- Melbourne's Least Worst Newspaper
- Doctor Old, Doctor New, Doctor Who
- It's Snot Good For The Environment
- Naming the Shameless
- ▼ October (23)
- ► 2005 (287)