I have a piece published in Quadrant magazine this month, or rather, Tim Train has a review published in Quadrant. It's the name I use to sign off my rare pieces in print, though not the name I use here in the blogosphere.
The piece is a review of John Hyde Page's book The Education of a Young Liberal.
Maybe to make my name sound really impressive, and my authorial identity sound suitably authoritative, I should start using a triple-barrel name, like Msrs Hyde Page, above. Unfortunately, Tim Huw Train doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Huw? It sounds like the noise a drunken Welsh owl would make.
Alternatively, I guess I could get a few more middle-names, and I could end up like one of those authors without a last name preceded by several initials. C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, W. B. Yeats ...
Strictly speaking, I could even have initials that initial nothing. The 'S' in the name of Harry S . Truman didn't actually stand for anything. (Or maybe it stood for itself - I haven't quite worked that one out yet.) The advantage of this sort of name is that you can't ever really write it in lower case, unless you're a rude bastard willing to flout the rules of English grammar.
What do you think? T.H.H.H.H.H. Train? Or maybe I'll vary the syllables around a bit. T.H.U.R.B.E.R. Train, T.H.A.C.K.E.R.A.Y. Train, T.H.O.R.E.A.U. Train, T.H.O.M.A.S.C.O.M.M.A.D.Y.L.A.N. Train ... Sure, it will be a bit difficult to remember at first, but I'm confident I'll get the hang of it sooner or later.
Anyway, if you want to check my piece out, Quadrant should be out in the newspaper stands in a few days time. It was also Quadrant's 50th birthday last night; so congratulations to them!
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2017 (30)
- ► 2016 (71)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- My Notions Recollected In Tranquility
- Notes from the Tropics
- The Curious History of the Man Who Looked Like Som...
- Off To Sydney
- Socialism: Is It a Political System or a New Age H...
- Seven Kinds of Sleep
- Banker Poetry
- Having the Weather Over For Breakfast
- Making The Facts Say What I Want Them To Say
- Rhymes About Various Poets
- Melbourne Streets - the Bookshop Count
- An Untitled Unquiry
- Going Winter For The Summer
- I Went to the Barber of Seville, And Didn't Even G...
- Conservative Calls Bunch of Trotskyites and Marxis...
- The Show And Me Just Happened To Bump Into One Ano...
- Irresponsible Propaganda
- Fat Controller Has Heart Attack, And Other Shockin...
- Melbourne's Least Worst Newspaper
- Doctor Old, Doctor New, Doctor Who
- It's Snot Good For The Environment
- Naming the Shameless
- ▼ October (23)
- ► 2005 (287)