APPLICATION TO PERFORM A PLAY AT THE MALTHOUSE THEATRE
Insurrection: Corruption: Resurrection
The play opens with two men in a room behind two plate-glass walls saying meaningless things to one another. As the play continues, the men continue to say meaningless things to one another behind the plate glass walls, increasing dramatic tension. For no real reason, a woman in dominatrix costume (who doesn't say anything at all) wanders on and off the stage. Then the play ends.
Insurrection: Corruption: Resurrection is an incisive analysis of the latent geopolitical circumstances of the occident, or of the current discursive tendencies of western democracy (depending on how you feel at the time.) It's also about communism. Through the expressive medium of two men saying meaningless things to one another behind plate glass walls, we hope to provide a dadaist metaphor by which the effect of communism and anti-communism on the western world.
Props and sets would be cheap. Here is a list we have drawn up:
- Two plate-glass walls.
- Two rubber penises.
- One gigantic paper-mache head.
- One large transparent cabinet.
- One red guard costume.
- One pair of handcuffs.
- One puppet of a naked woman.
- One dominatrix costume.
- One syringe.
The actors have said that they will supply the syringe, plate-glass walls, rubber penises and gigantic paper-mache head themselves. The rest of the props should come in fairly cheap, under $100.
Oh, and the actors come pretty cheap too. Got them at a bargain basement price at the Victorian Academy of the Arts ...
As ideas for plays go, I have to say that this one is ABSOLUTELY FUCKING FANTASTIC!!! With a plot like that, how could it not succeed? I'll give you one week - no - TWO weeks! No, two and a half!
PS I'm not sure about the name. We need something a little more plain to get the punters in. How about, 'Now That Communism is Dead, My Life Feels Empty'?
UPDATE! - I actually did see this play on Thursday, and, to steal a phrase from Tim, it was all this and less. I'd been thinking of posting a review of it in the last couple of days, and this came to mind. When I was doing a search on google for information about the play, I learned that it was actually written in 2001 by an international writer called Richard Foreman - not written for the Malthouse at all. So now I am telling you. In the interests of disclosure, and journalistic integrity, and stuff. (Mostly the third category).
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2014 (92)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- The Potato
- Oh No, I Voted For a Politician
- Advertising Slogans Suggested
- Of Piglets and Love
- Welcome to the Internet
- Miss Perkins is the Energetic Secretary of the Wom...
- The Cold Dark Matter of Life
- Post Humourous
- End to the Weekend
- Further Gloatations
- What I'm Reading
- Word of the Day
- The Extremely Cultured Yoghurt
- The End of the End of the World
- Gourmets are just confused Grommets
- A Disquisition Concerning the Amount of Silly Hat ...
- Religious Sunday To You All
- An Observation Made; and A Moral Drawn
- An Idyll on the Idle Ideal, or, Not Striving to M...
- Application To Perform a Play
- The Seven Habits of Highly Defective People
- ▼ November (22)
- ► 2005 (287)