I was sitting on the Sandringham train by the window with my left foot reclining on my right knee. When there's nobody else sitting beside me, I like to use all the space that I've got. Yes, I'm a lazy selfish sod. Well, on comes this family - a father, and three little kids (two boys and one girl), and I fold my legs back into normal position, both feet sitting on the floor. The father sits down beside me with the little girl on his lap. The two little boys sat opposite their father, on the one seat.
I figured that I must have intimidated the smaller of the two boys. His brother started to push him and tell him to move over, but he refused to.
What, in these circumstances, should I have done?
a) Speak to the kid in a friendly voice and ask him if he'd like to move over?
(Drawback: he might take it the wrong way and punch me.)
b) Try to make friends with him by offering him one of my chips, and then asking him to move over?
(Drawback: his father might think the chips were poisoned and punch me.)
c) Assume it was none of my business (which I guess it wasn't) and do nothing. Let them sort it out for themselves.
(Drawback: a little rude. I should at least try to get along with them.)
I took option c). Reader, what should I have done?
PS I was off to see 'Keeping Up With The Steins', and despite the reviews, it was actually very good. To give you something of the flavour, here's a few of my favourite quotes:
- "What is this - Queer Oy for the Straight Goy?"
- "I think I'm really blooming, don't you?" (from cheeky 12 year old girl to stuttering 12 year old boy at a Bar Mitzvah)
- "Joe's Butchers - you can beat our prices, but you can't beat our meat!"
- "What is this - Fiedler on The Roof?"
- "Holy shit!"
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- 2006 In Books: A Year That Wasn't
- Move Over, Cabbage
- Modern Communication: An Instructive Tale
- A Little About Covers
- Merry Christmas Folks
- A Few Random Notes
- A Word on Carols
- Spin for a Penny, Spin for a Pound
- Road Testing the Presents
- A Saucy Offer
- The Customer Disservice Industry, Now More Deficie...
- Way Too Much Tim On Your Hands
- Sign I May Be Reading Blogs a Little Bit Too Much ...
- A Night in Notes
- A Carol For The Times
- Lest Leaping Dogs, Sly ...
- The Chronological Eccentricities of James Bond Fil...
- A Moral Poem To Bad Little Boys and Girls
- Enter Private Eye, Stage Right, In The Key of E .....
- Misstake Marples
- Splenetically Engineered Food
- A Sort of Response ...
- Not Quite Obsession
- The Labours Of ...
- Brutal is Beautiful
- The Alan Kohler 2006 Political Cliche Market Repor...
- A Moral Dilemma of the Gravest Proportions
- Objective Opinions Masquerading as Subjective Fact...
- Shout Out
- And The Grease Stayed On My Fingers Until Lunchtim...
- Why I Don't Listen To Modern Music
- ▼ December (32)
- ► 2005 (287)