kidattypewriter

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

To be au fart with the fait

Even as the new millennium arrives, farting is still such an anathema that people worry about its effects on their jobs, reputations, and love lives. Believe it or not, many folks resort to the subterfuge of sneaking out farts and then, eyes coyly perusing the ceiling, acting as innocent as bunny rabbits, hoping someone else will be blamed.

Jim Dawson, A Cultural History of the Fart

Pfffft! They're just looking to see where it goes!

8 comments:

M L Jassy said...

And now for our pithy analysis of "fart with a social message", or is it a case of, bean there, done that?

TimT said...

I have to say that I'm not entirely pleased with this fartistic history so far. It makes the inevitable bean jokes in the introduction, and seems to be less intelligent analysis than an attempt to list every farting anecdote throughout history, alongside some stupid jokes in boxes separated from the rest of the text.

The classic fart joke in film, of course, happens in Blazing Saddles - a film I do not like, really - the reason for which Brooks explains quite well in his bio: "I mean, here are these guys sitting around eating beans. Cowboys have been shooting one another full of holes for years, and you're not allowed to have a fart joke!"

Anonymous said...

Apparently, the new smoke-free rule in pubs has had an unexpected side effect.

Shelley said...

Ah yes, my local now smells like stal beer, vomit, cleaning fluid, and fart. So lovely.

Caz said...

You're having an uninspired week, aren't you?

Shelley said...

I was thinking that too. Perhaps he could write me a story on why I shouldn't hate Newcastle with such passion. Okay, technically I should hate cityrail but I blame Newcastle for being further away than I thought.

TimT said...

I don't know about that. I'm just focusing on off-blog writing at the moment, though a few posts are coming up.

Shelley said...

Off-blog writing...? wow.

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive