I went to see Stardust today.
It's the sort of film that you might describe as, "Like The Princess Bride", if you were a publicist, or a critic, or lazy. But bugger that, publicists and critics should take these films on their own terms. (Lazy people are all right, but).
The plot is something about a star called Yvaine falling to earth and becoming a person, and a kid called Tristan setting out to find some star dust for the girl he loves. Or thinks he loves. But doesn't. (As it turns out, he's actually setting out on a quest to find the girl he loves, who turns out to be Yvaine, though he doesn't know it). You get the picture, it's a simple enough story about love and manhood and all that stuff.
The star is played by Clare Danes, because she's a star - obviously. (Hmmm). Somewhat more disturbingly, Tristan is played by Charlie Cox. (Double hmmm).
There are plenty of nice touches in this, like Robert de Niro as a gay pirate who flies about the sky in a dirigible with the rest of his pirate crew. ('It's all right, captain - we always knew you were a whoopsie!' a member of his team reassures him in one of his later scenes.) Michelle Pfeiffer also does a nice line as head of a coven of three witches, who spend their time cheerfully sacrificing animals and taking out their entrails for divinatory purposes. (None of it is graphic, but it's certainly closer to the feel of traditional fairy tales than you'd normally get from Hollywood).
It would be nice to think that, what with the gay pirate theme and all, Hollywood released this film to coincide with Talk Like a Pirate Day, which is becoming quite the tradition, but according to Wikipedia, it was first released in the US in August. Oh well. All things considered, though, this was a pretty awesome film, and I'd go and see it again at the drop of a hat. And you should too. (Though not before you see it for a first time, obviously.)
Um.... goodnight then!
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2016 (55)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- WTFF Classifieds
- Rhyming couplets with unlikely words
- Do you prefer footbrawl or thugby?
- Consonant cravings
- Crypto Fascism
- I go mad with power
- Caution: this jar may contain traces of mastodons
- Watch out! That bustle is out to get you!
- Our new anti-Donald workplace policy
- It's propaganda, dammit!
- The nude in art and the art in the nude
- The great Australian brain shortage
- The goyim does not know...
- How to read backwards, upside down, standing on yo...
- Idea for mystery novel
- Hello, goodbye, hello
- Convenience caused
- An application for the position of John Laws
- Belloc, the game show
- Robert Herrick, goth poet
- The archeology of the species
- A blogger dies
- Self-yelp books
- Consumerism is evil! Here, have a newspaper.
- This rental life
- My life, so much better than mycosis
- Gnuts to ewe!
- Just keep Dexter the bloody friendly robot out of ...
- Disgracing you with his presence
- History Segment! (Again)!
- ▼ September (32)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)