kidattypewriter

Saturday, April 05, 2008

The out of context game!

Well, you could have floored me with a feather, decapitated me with a daisy, skewered me with a seaweed, and walloped me with a scallop. Some politician in the good old UK had these wise words to say about rape:

"To suggest that rape, when conducted without violence, is a serious crime is like suggesting that force feeding a woman chocolate cake is a heinous offence."

This politician, one Nick Eriksen, predictably represents the BNP. Presumably he and his colleagues are force-fed chocolate cake on a regular basis as part of the insensitivity training under taken by all BNP politicians. Anyway, the BNP claims, with gleeful abandon, that Eriksen is taken out of context. Taken out of context? It makes you wonder in what context the sentence DID appear originally...

a) Hello! How are you? I'm well, thanks! Rape is like being force-fed chocolate cake!

b) I am very concerned about the increasing gap between rich and poor. Rape is like being force-fed chocolate cake!

c) Speaking of chocolate, and speaking of cake, don't you think rape is like being force-fed chocolate cake?

d) Aren't puppies nice? Rape is like being force-fed chocolate cake!

e) Hey, look behind you! Rape is like being force-fed chocolate cake!

f) Purple monkey dishwasher! Rape is like being force-fed chocolate cake!

If you answered a, b, c, d, e, or f, nope. They're all wrong. If, however, you thought the answer would something more like the following -

Rape is simply sex (I am talking about 'husband-rape' here, for those who deliberately seek to misunderstand me). Women enjoy sex, so this type of 'rape' cannot be such a terrible physical ordeal. To suggest that rape, when conducted without violence, is a serious crime is like suggesting that force feeding a woman chocolate cake is a heinous offence. A woman would be more inconvenienced by having her handbag snatched ... Again, for those who are seeking to cause trouble by deliberately misunderstanding me: yes, violent rape by a stranger in the street is a terrible crime, but I am not talking about that -- I am talking about 'husband-rape'.

You'd be right.

6 comments:

Shelley said...

It's curious that he thinks that having your handbag snatched is more inconvenient that having your snatch snatched. Granted, I find it rude when people rifle through my handbag without permission but I suspect I'd find it ruder still if someone rifled through my vagina without permission.

Also, it’s been a long time since I studied psychology but I have a vague memory of reading about a Freudian dream analysis of a woman and her purse. Purse can, of course, be a way of describing a handbag. Being Freud (though if memory serves Shakespeare, ) always a greater authority for crude, no?) does this also) purse can be a euphemism for vagina. Far be it from me to attempt to psychoanalyse another person but such terminology viewed in the right context would suggest that he knows damn well that rape is rape is rape. Of course, I may have gotten this all horribly wrong…

Some men have very peculiar ideas about women, don't they?

Shelley said...

Be a dear and delete that top one properly for me, would you? Typos are the very devil :(

You could probably delete this comment as well :)

TimT said...

No, I think he's just a bit of a dill. Bet he's wishing he could delete his comment, apparently he got fired from the BNP(!) for this. The message seems to be when you're in the BNP, you can be as racist as you want, but you've got to be sensitive when it comes to statements that are likely to be taken 'out of context'... (Shades of the racists against sexism!)

Shelley said...

Oh definitely a dill!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's completely appalling.

(Also, I have to say that I think I would find being force-fed chocolate cake to be rather traumatic, too. Shudder.)

I guess we're all just "Seek[ing] to cause trouble by deliberately misunderstanding" this dude, though. What a complete douchebag.

Anonymous said...

I is thinking, vague, he is the kind of douchebag I would not be wanting as a handdbag, and if I did have the misfortune to have him as a handbag I would want him snatched!

Away Away!

Chocolate cake is a nice dairy product - well mostly dairy.

Rape is wicked.

Chocolate cake is not wicked.

Well not to me.

I thinks there can be no comparison. I thinks I have made my point!

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive