I first heard the phrase 'fashionably late' in university. People kept on using it when they didn't turn up to lectures or other appointments on time. As far as I could tell, it meant that you could be late in a fashionable way, just as you could be tall in a fashionable way, or broad-shouldered in a fashionable way, or wear green in a fashionable way. But what the difference was between being fashionably late and late late, no-one could tell me. Presumably, if you wanted to turn up to an appointment fashionably late, and ended up there even later than that, you could be fashionably late at being fashionably late. Did that just make you extra fashionably late, or just late?
Also, you have to wonder, if people could be fashionably late for appointments, could trains be fashionably late? Could buses? Could kids stay up after bedtime, claiming 'fashionable lateness'? Why not 'fashionably punctual', or 'fashionably early' for appointments instead? (It somehow seems more possible to be punctual at being fashionably late than being fashionably late at being punctual. Though I could be wrong.)
What happened to this phrase, 'fashionably late'. Is it fashionable, lately? Or is it just, well, late?
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2015 (97)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- The social pages: official opening ceremony held t...
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Damn!
- Perfect in his cromulence
- Cheap for its price!
- Late is the new black
- Goin' nowhere man
- Destroying the world: public good, or private resp...
- So you say you're an accountant? Then account for ...
- The blurst of all possible worlds
- Bill O'Reilly's beautiful soul
- Puffing on his pipe in a nostalgic manner....
- The Non-sequitur Weekly
- Thought for the day
- And now for a word from our sponsors
- Blogging as a conceptual art
- Written on hearing that Boris Johnson has become M...
- World's oldest 48-year man about to break a new re...
- The internet is working! Sort of...
- For the good of society
- And now to a serious subject
- ▼ May (23)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)