kidattypewriter

Friday, October 03, 2008

Amazing technological developments!*

Yesterday at work, instead of sending me a technical email about the job we were doing over the internet, C. sent me the email using her voice. It was a nice thought - it reminded me of the time that we all sent one another emails using our voice, all the time. We called it 'talking'. Also, instead of typing in emoticons into the computer using apostrophes and semi-colons and em-dashes, we'd broadcast the emoticons to one another using our faces - a process we called 'smiling' or 'frowning'.

Now, call me an old fuddy duddy if you will, but I think that that old method of sending emails to and fro, and communicating inconsequential but nonetheless interesting facts to one another, by 'talking' and 'smiling', had its charms. I think we should all do it more often. I myself have 'talked' to several people today, and received emails back from them. This 'talking' is quite useful and fun, in its own way.

So much so, that I'm going to do it for a few more days - I'm going to Newcastle, where I'll be sending a wide number of emails to my parents by means of my hitherto little-used 'mouth' (the software which I use for 'talking' and 'smiling'). It's true that it may be a little difficult to do blog posts with this 'talking' technology, so don't expect too much out of me for the next few days.

Have a great weekend!

*Amazing technological developments: this title does not apply to Jetstar, who are taking me to Newcastle via the amazingly circuitous route of Sydney, from whence I will be catching a bus up the Pacific Highway.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I hope that trip up the Pacific Highway won't be/wasn't as painful as today's temperature in Sydney suggests it might be. My friend is going up to Port Stephens for diving on Sat afternoon and I'm too zonked out to envy him that.

Martin Kingsley said...

As requested.

Shelley said...

Just the one bus? I am envious.

M L Jassy said...

I am using the outdated software mentioned to express bemusement by way of a pout followed by a chuckle. Hope you enjoyed your northward sojourn.

Anonymous said...

Forlorn - got picked up by my parents in Newie and went to bed at two in the morning! Mum stayed up and finished the book she was reading, which I thought was rather sporting of her.

Martin - jolly nice of you to say so, old chap.

Nails - As an added bonus, Qantas baggage handling *did* manage to lose half of my baggage, which ended up being delivered to my place by courier, one day after. I suppose they provide that sort of service for everyone, but I like to think it was aimed at me personally.

Mitzi - you're welcome.

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive