Here at Melbourne, the weather is unpredictable in the most predictable ways. Things will never turn out exactly how you want them too, and you'll never guess exactly how the weather is going to be in the afternoon, much less in the coming week.
We've had a surprisingly pleasant summer so far, very different to the heatwaves of recent years. This has lead to a certain dread on my part: when summer kicks in, I keep on thinking, it will really kick in with a vengeance. Endless days and nights of unrelenting forty degree temperatures, days when you can't think of anything but the heat.
The result: I've become an obsessive reader of the website http://www.bom.gov.au/, and related weather updates. Which has lead to my current dilemma, my current whether about the weather, if you like...
At bom.gov.au, the news is hideous. They say it's going to be a virtual INFERNO tomorrow: 37 degrees celsius.
BUT! At Weather.com, they say it's going to be a veritable doddle, a walk in the park, an almost-but-not-quite-Antarctica. Twenty nine degrees celsius, if that.
I just don't know whether to believe the guys at weather.com, or the chaps at bom.gov.au.
If it's going to be a pleasant twenty nine, then maybe I should choose to believe bom.gov.au, and be pleasantly surprised by the mildness and clemency of the weather at this time of year. Then again, if I believe what they say at weather.com, I could be happily unsurprised by the way the day turns out.
And what if it turns out to be a BOILING thirty seven degrees? I could still choose to believe in bom.gov.au, and have the grim satisfaction of being proved correct. If I believed in the predictions of weather.com, on the other hand, I'd be pretty ticked off at the way the day turned out.
What to believe? Who to listen to? I Just. Don't. Know.
Nice whether we're having lately...
UPDATE! - Then again, I would be rather bucked up to be grimly satisfied about being correct about the unpleasantness of the weather. Grim satisfaction is so satisfyingly grim, don't you think?
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2016 (54)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- Two interesting little words
- The lunch they have when they don't have lunch
- The bitter butter nutter
- Fashion tips from Tim
- Ladies and gentlemen, please be upstanding
- Literary criticism as a medical condition
- Yes, we still did
- Schmuck Friday
- The state of state poetry
- Multiple bipolar personality disorder
- Liveblogging the Lego Inauguration
- Words that will make transcribers across the natio...
- Haecceity! Pardon me!
- World of Warcraft limericks
- DIY Passive Aggression
- Worst thieves ever
- Always take the whether with you...
- Two essays, two words
- Sharon Gould's book of words
- The New Yorker book of numbers
- My meaningless, consumer driven life!
- What's the difference between discomfort and pain?...
- Terrible news for sex!
- Seven ways to say "Happy New Year"
- ▼ January (24)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)