Whenever the question of 'affect' (to act on, produce an effect or change) and 'effect' (that which is produced by some agency or cause) is raised at work, I am absolute resolute in my uncertainty.
Today at work we also encountered the question of 'proscribed' (denounced or condemned) and 'prescribed' (appointed, ordained, enjoined) 'burns'. What, exactly, is the difference between 'prescribed burns' or 'proscribed burns'? We are of course in bushfire season, so most burning would be 'proscribed'. But then, sometimes firies like to do controlled burns of areas in order to cut fires off - 'prescribed burns'. In these circumstances, is the prescription proscribed, or the proscription prescibed? On this question, my absolute uncertainty is ambiguously definite.
And I couldn't help wondering out loud, when the inevitable question of 'affect' and 'effect' was later raised at work, whether the affective proscription of effects was to be prescribed, or if the effective prescription of affects was to be preferred.
If anybody could take a minuet or to to proscribe an explication for this difficult questing, I would be infinitively great full.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2014 (114)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- Fridge tragic challenge
- Kill! Type for Food!
- Helplines for the helpless
- Occident incident
- Technicolour technispasm!
- Be an Alfalfa man!
- Imbruglia embroigled with roigle?
- Be a role model for your children!
- Monkey's flunkey
- No, you don't
- Specubating, masterlating
- Unmedicated predications
- Brevitudinousness is the soul of witlessness
- Unspeakable! Unimaginable! Unfolding! Underpants!
- The losing of wisdom
- Bland of the dead
- Apostrophes! And coming contractions!
- Things on my kitchen shelf recently affected by th...
- Too much show, too little tell
- Just Tright
- The wit and wisdom of my Mum
- How to travel internationally without leaving home...
- ▼ February (23)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)