CASE ONE: Because of my wisdom teeth operation, I was on sick leave at the start of this week. I felt guilty about taking the Monday off, and then felt anxious about going back to work, and then spent most of the day debating whether I should call up work and take the Tuesday off on sick leave, and then after I did so felt guilty about it. I went to work on Wednesday, deciding it would be lazy not to, and also feeling, oddly, that I should be saving the sick leave up for another day (which probably wouldn't happen anyway). When I wrote up the sick leave in the computer and took the dentists certificate in to HR, I discovered the dentist had given me permission to take ONE ENTIRE WEEK off on leave. Bloody hell, I thought, and here I am wasting it at work...!
CASE TWO: This morning I bought two pens from the Moreland newsagency. Because I bought those pens, I missed the 8.20 train to work. As I sat down at the train station, I discovered that one of the pens didn't work anyway. Then I discovered that the train service had cancelled the 8.40 train to work, meaning that I'd get to work 20 minutes late. Fair enough, I said to my self, I'll just work back 20 minutes this afternoon and catch the 5.30 PM train back, instead of the 5.10 PM.
As it turned out, the 5.30 train may or may not have come, but I got to the train station, just in time, to catch the 5.10 train, running 10 minutes late. When I got off, some 10 stops later, I walked down the street, only just missing the bus back home. Bugger, I said to myself. If only my train (though it was, really, the train before my train) hadn't been so damned late (though if it had been any earlier I would have missed it completely) I wouldn't have missed that bus (though doubtless I would have ended up waiting 20 minutes for another bus, complaining profusely to myself and the world).
Conclusion: you may think this is just an innocuous chain of events that reveal no great meaning or purpose. To me, it suggests quite the otherwise: having, perhaps, learned from my example, the ENTIRE UNIVERSE is working to contradict me. The universe is a bastard!
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2014 (114)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- Fridge tragic challenge
- Kill! Type for Food!
- Helplines for the helpless
- Occident incident
- Technicolour technispasm!
- Be an Alfalfa man!
- Imbruglia embroigled with roigle?
- Be a role model for your children!
- Monkey's flunkey
- No, you don't
- Specubating, masterlating
- Unmedicated predications
- Brevitudinousness is the soul of witlessness
- Unspeakable! Unimaginable! Unfolding! Underpants!
- The losing of wisdom
- Bland of the dead
- Apostrophes! And coming contractions!
- Things on my kitchen shelf recently affected by th...
- Too much show, too little tell
- Just Tright
- The wit and wisdom of my Mum
- How to travel internationally without leaving home...
- ▼ February (23)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)