kidattypewriter

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Frequently asked question time in the house

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE: Order! Order! (Bangs his gavel officiously on whatever the thing is that gavels get banged on). The house will come to order!

I call on the Honourable Member for Bludgford, Mr Glowral Slurgemstein, Minister for the Opposition.

GLOWRAL SLURGEMSTEIN: (Approaching the question place) Thank you, Mr Speaker. My question is directed at the Energy Minister for the Federal Government, Ms Jernelle Traglebumster.

Hi. Haven't seen you in a while. How's it going?

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE: I call on the Energy Minister for the Federal Government, Ms Jernelle Traglebumster, to answer.

JERNELLE TRAGLEBUMSTER: (Approaching the podium) Well, that's just about the usual standard of questions I'd expect from the Opposition. Mr Speaker, the Government has a clear cut plan for Australia, and here the Opposition is wanting to drag our conversation down into gutter civilities. Well, I tell you, the Government is determined, absolutely determined to go ahead with our plan, despite - yes, despite - what the Opposition ask of us. I further call upon my Glowral Sturgemstein, the so-called 'honourable' member for Bludgford, to withdraw that question.

MEMBERS OF THE OPPOSITION: Oooh! Ah! Yargh! Hwooooooar! (Waving their papers around in the air in an outraged fashion.)

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE: Order! Order! I call this house to order! Order, everyone, order order order!

Calling to speak, the Opposition's Honourable Member for Sluginthebum, Mr Topsulin Blackwater.

TOPSULIN BLACKWATER: (Coming up to speak) Your honour, Mr Speaker, this question is directed at the Minister for Infrastructure, Mr Globulins Globulins. Mr Globulins: I like milk with my tea. What about you?

MEMBERS OF THE GOVERNMENT: Yark! Faaaaarg! Huuuuurgh! (In a similarly outraged fashion to the opposition moments before.)

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE: ORDER! ORDER! There will be ORDER IN THE HOUSE! Are we going to act like the federal parliament, or a bunch of petulant schoolchildren?

MR GLOBULINS GLOBULINS: (Coming up to speak) Your honour, Mr Speaker, thank you. But I am quite happy to answer those questions of both the previous members of the opposition. Yes, it is a nice day, isn't it? And my wife's fine, thanks for asking. And that is why, THAT is why, Mr Speaker, the Government has a clear plan for Australia...

MEMBERS OF THE OPPOSITION: Glooog! Baaaaah! Flumbug! (Outraged, as before, for no discernible reason)

MR GLOBULINS GLOBULINS: ... and intends to keep acting on it! (Sits down.)

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE: ORDER! ORDER! (Bangs his gavel, bang bang). Order! Order! (Bangs his gavel, bang bang!) Order, order! (Bangs his gavel, bang bang!) Bang bang! Er, I mean, order, order!

Ahem. Calling the last speaker for the opposition, Ms Maria Terrentius Splivulum, member for Glimbo.

MARIA TERRENTIUS SPLIVULUM: Thank you, Mr Speaker. My question is directed at the member for Laggerty, Mr John Fogerty-Fogerty Fogerty. Did you leave your mobile phone in my office today? And would you like to come and collect it after question time?

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE: Order! Order! (Seeing nobody is making any noise) Er, yes. I call to answer that question the member for Laggerty, Mr John Fogerty-Fogerty Fogerty.

JOHN FOGERTY-FOGERTY FOGERTY: I did. I will. And thanks.

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE: That concludes today's session of frequently asked question time in the house.

MEMBERS OF THE OPPOSITION: FAWGH! &co, &co...

MEMBERS OF THE GOVERNMENT: AWK! &co, &co...

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE: I say, that concludes today's session, no matter how much the government or the opposition may object to it! And that is an order! Order, order! (Bangs his gavel repeatedly, to no effect)

2 comments:

Caz said...

"I did. I will. And thanks."

See how easy it is?

All members should take note and turn question time into the type of crisp, civil conversations encountered at milkbars and supermarket checkouts everyday.

TimT said...

Just like that? With no officious gavel banging? They'd hate it in the Federal Parliament!

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive