kidattypewriter

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Pedant's corner

If you have reservations about something, feel suspicious or trepidacious, you are either "wary" or "leery." You are not "weary." - Shakesville

Ah, but you could weary of the wary, or be wary of the weary, or weary of being wary, or indeed you could be wary but weary of the constant wearing wariness of others, couldn't you? Being wary can be quiet wearying, after all.

PS There's a reason why I titled this post 'Pedant's corner', after all - I don't expect anyone else to join me!

8 comments:

M-H said...

Room for a tiny one?

DeliaBlack's Blog said...

I have joined you, nitpicker of the English language, and I am not weary or wary of being here.

TimT said...

Thank you and welcome, O Pedants' !

M-H said...

OMG - was that a stray apostrophe? Or was it "...welcome, o pedants' exclamation mark"?

TimT said...

Since the pedant's corner seemed to have become a pedants' corner in the course of this post, I decided to put it in comments as an illustration.

TimT said...

'!'

M-H said...

Mind you, I don't think I'm as pedantic as the people who ring the ABC to complain about minor transgressions (eg lack of noun/verb agreement) in spoken English by the broadcasters. (BTW, if they have a small audience do they become narrowcasters?) Richard Glover's column in this weekend's Spectrum made me laugh out loud, but also feel a bit sad that the joy of language can be eclipsed by a grey insistence on 'correctness'.

Ampersand Duck said...

I live with someone who loves to taunt the Apostrophe Protection Society. If that sounds like your sort of fun, go here: http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

He would ask questions about mothers'-in-law blamanges and so forth. Totally beyond me.

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive