kidattypewriter

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Brown town

The other day I started reading The Da Vinci Code - a book that virtually no-one else I know has read, and all of them disliked, several years after they first didn't read, and disliked it. And I'm enjoying it, too. How down-to-date am I? I'm so behind the times that I can't even keep up with the prevailing opinion of several years ago. Maybe I should give Harold Robbins a try, next. I'll probably enjoy that, too.

I was going to write a whole bunch more words about the book, but I can't remember what they are at the moment. My one major gripe with TDVC so far is that it is six hundred pages, but then again, it's a short 600 pages.

What can I say? I haven't been as excited since reading Alvin Q. Purple and the Mysterious Cipher of Albuquerque as a kid.

4 comments:

Dan the VespaMan said...

Good on you Tim. The DVC is one of those books that bibliophile snobs love to denigrate because it's fashionable to do so rather than it actually being a terrible read.

600 pages! Would it be cheating to just see the movie?

Paul said...

Sydney Sheldon awaits.

TimT said...

Proof that Dan Brown rots your brain?

My one major gripe with TDVC so far is that it is six hundred pages, but then again, it's a short 600 pages.

My not even being able to be consistent in the way I type numbers.

I don't care! I think I'll pass Dan Brown off to a bunch of academics next and see what it does to their writing! Bwahahahahaha!

Steve said...

I think I got 5 pages into it and was so put off I haven't gone back. I mean, we all know Michael Crichton didn't have a great prose style, but Brown makes him read like [insert here favourite classic author renowned for his/her style.*]

* I was thinking Chekov, except I haven't read him. Shakespeare: maybe, but he didn't do novels. Any other famous 19th century author: their sentences are often too long for my weak brained modern English sensibilities. I'll have to keep thinking about this.

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive