kidattypewriter

Friday, January 08, 2010

A fruity post

Right about now I'm going absolutely fucking crazy about nectarines. Nectarines nectarines nectarines. I can't get enough of them. You ever have one of those hot summer days when you walk into the supermarket with a vague notion of some things to get, and instead you just pack the trolley up with fruit?

It started when I wandered into the Preston Woolies after my Christmas holidays and ended up buying two or three negligible essentials, and eight or nine nectarines. I got through those in, oh, about a day. Got another bunch of nectarines the day after, and now I'm on to my third bunch.

Every year it's the same thing: summer rolls in, and the fruit cravings start. Last year it was a craving for oranges, which were really bad for my skin because of the citric acid. This year, with my nectarine cravings, I think at least I've made a step up.

Can't help wondering what it's going to be next year though. Durian? Paw paw? Breadfruit? I await the future with dread and saliva. And nectarines.

7 comments:

Steve said...

I recommend Calypso mangos which I recently found at a Coles supermarket. According the sticker, they have firm flesh, a smaller seed, and less fibre. Indeed, this proved to be true. I see from their website that they have been around for a few years now, but I have only noticed them this week. But at $2.50 each, they are not so cheap.

Other summer favourites: lychees, and of course cherries.

Martin Kingsley said...

Citric, possibly. Pedant, possibly.

Queen Victoria Market, possibly, 'cos, like, I buy a lot of nectarines there and I eat 'em. I eat 'em all. Nom. Like so.

TimT said...

Yeah, it's the fibrey part of mangoes that really puts me off I think Steve - the rest are absolutely luscious. I have tried Calypsos, they're really nice.

Steve said...

Oh. Someone who lives in Melbourne was more mango aware than me in Brisbane. I am deeply embarrassed.

Dr. Cam said...

I too was in Preston Woolies the other day and bore witness to a magnificent creation called Dragonfruit. I have no idea what it tastes like, but it looks pretty crazy.

Like a dragon!

Cam Black said...

Dragonfruit is exciting to look at, but a little average in taste. Go rambutan, like lychees, but a little yummier.

Now Durian...in the words of my darling's father, it's like eating a fruit salad in a sewer. Tastes groovy, smells worse than my brother's feet.

TimT said...

Never having smelled your brother's feet, I wouldn't know. Bring your brother's feet into the Dan next week! Then we can all find out.

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive