You have been sweeping up. With the broom. There is a big pile of dust, hair, and scraps sitting in one spot on the floor, which is the result of your sweeping up with aforementioned tool of sweeping up, the broom. All is as it should be.
A cat enters the room where you have been doing the sweeping up. The cat sits down on the floor in close - fairly close, but not very close, and certainly not absolutely - proximity to the results of the sweeping up, with the implement of sweeping up resting on the other side, resting upon the table. The cat looks cheerfully smug, in that way that cats have.
You are sitting on a chair. The broom leaning on the table. The cat is sitting on the floor. The pile of dust is sitting in fairly close but not very close proximity to the cat on the floor. It is a scene of domestic peace and tranquility such as, one imagines, happen all over the world in such circumstances. And then, an idea comes into your head.
You stand up from the chair on which you have been sitting. You grasp the broom firmly in both your hands, and take it away from the table on which it has been leaning. With one brisk stroke, you sweep the pile of dust from the position it has been sitting on the floor to a position in very close proximity indeed to the cat. You return the broom and yourself to their static positions on table and chair, respectively. You watch with pleasure and satisfaction as the cat walks into the middle of the pile of dust and curls into a neat ball and lays down to sleep.
It is after all a pleasant and satisfying thing to provide just that extra little bit of help to others to achieve their goals.
You will be interested to know that this scenario, that may or may not have actually happened, didn't actually happen. But oh, how easily it could have...
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2014 (123)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- I sing the thing
- Types of dance
- Budgies make for cheep jokes
- Chique leave
- The man on the bus
- It's amazing what sort of things can move you to p...
- Good news for sink sniffers
- 18th century expletives are the best sort of exple...
- Possible obituary #2
- Long sock short sock black sock white sock this so...
- Scenario that may or may not have happened
- Rejected ideas for blog posts
- All-purpose obituary
- Deliciously evil, or just deliciously delicious?
- A very literary post
- Announcing the discovery of a new poetic form
- Proposed titles for academic essays
- The Screw
- Weekend travel special
- Little read Biblical passages
- Scene from a future dystopia
- ▼ July (25)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)