Broken Biro has this list of proverbs from all around the world. Things like, 'the trunk of the elephant is longer than the beak of the goose, but the feather of the goose in the trunk of the elephant is like the bottom of the rhinoceros in the face of the monkey,' or 'the three fingered goatherd has the oversized carrot of tranquility in his top-right-hand coat pocket, right next to the racing form.' (More or less.) Well, I looked at the proverbs -
'Every hill has its leopard.'
'Who takes a hut, also takes the rats and cockroaches.
'Do not grab your heel until the ant has bitten you.'
And I attempted my own:
The tree is very leafy.
As you know, making up boring proverbs is a great Australian tradition, performed by me since the dawn of time (by which I mean this morning.) So here are a few more ancient proverbs:
The cat is very furry.
The coffee cup is rather empty.
He who attempts to blow his nose produces snot.
The rain is particularly wet and watery.
The two-legged chicken stands firmly on its second, and first, leg.
He who carries a handful of eggs is going to make an omelette.
I hope you enjoy this timeless wisdom. (You'd better enjoy it, it took me literally minutes to come up with it.)
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2015 (71)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- I'll take miscellaneous
- I can’t believe it took me five years to invent th...
- Using it in a sentence
- Not feeling very positronic about all this
- Proposal for a new AFL team
- Have you ever...
- For no reason at all
- Proposed advertising campaigns for somewhat obscur...
- Now let me tell you a small story about one of my ...
- Reasonable and logical
- Attention vegetarians
- Bush poetry, maaaaaate
- Recorded for posterity, or whatever comes after th...
- Whatever floats your boat into a particular port i...
- Off your facebook
- An open and heartfelt letter
- Proverbs, antiverbs
- A nice picture of a bit of a truck
- A nightmare scenario
- Masterchef spin offs
- Labor loses election, stays in government
- Zsa Zsas in my eyes...
- News you can rely on
- A good day in my books is a day in my good books
- Three headlines looking for a column
- A limerick about Ned, and other disappointing piec...
- ▼ September (28)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)