IN WHAT IS SEEN BY MANY AS A MODERN-DAY MIRACLE, a smiley face believed to represent the face of the Virgin Mary has appeared on a sheet of paper in a Melbourne home.
The Holy Emoticon, which is believed to consist of a colon, an en dash, and a close parenthesis, was found in the home of the Splutch family, in Epping, in Melbourne's outer north. "It stopped me right in my tracks," says Mrs Splutch. "I had to pull my husband over and ask, 'is that what I think it is'?"
Crude artistic representation of what the smiley face of Our Lady of the Parenthesis looked like.
However, this amazing Smiley Face miracle was soon to create a storm of controversy around the world, with papers in several countries soon claiming that the Sacred Smiley represented Buddha, Moses, or even Mary's little sister, Priscillina.
"These people are trying to discredit this modern-day miracle, and it's just not on," complains Father Grump, at the local Catholic Church. "They'd better be careful, or one day they'll see a Frowny Face of the Holy Mother appear on their toast, and then they'll be sorry!"
The miraculous smiley face has been sold to a Las Vegas casino for an undisclosed sum of money, believed to be in the tens of thousands.
Related: the European newspaper that published a smiley face representation of the Prophet Mohamed - and the protests that followed.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2016 (71)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- Tips for adding magic and mystery to your life
- The intellectual capacity of chickens
- Magical modern miracle!
- Slightly amusing and half interesting things that ...
- Public transport poetry: the perils of genre
- Meaningless domestic scene
- Hey, let's have a talk about intranational geopoli...
- Rupert and the case of the protogynous diurnally s...
- Implementing productivity goals
- The epitome of epicurianism
- An open letter to the Universe
- Saturday scandal!
- Things to do, no. 10,111
- Ocular observations on my peregrinations around th...
- The Sultry Vixen of Temptation in the Stately Plea...
- Conversation 2.0
- Headlines I'd like to see
- Ethical dilemma
- Beneath the sink sits a bag full of scrabble tiles...
- O thou that tellest good tidings of Zine
- A very festive festival to you all
- ▼ July (21)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)