'Journey'. The word is used so much these days that not only does it apply to everyone doing everything everywhere, but it also applies to everyone else.
Why not trip, expedition, voyage, holiday, tour, hike, flight, elopement, mission, adventure, I wonder? Just about any of these words imply more danger, or more enjoyment, or a more obvious goals, or, at the very least, more personal agency than 'journey', after all. But no - what is really required is a journey, a soul-enriching, heart-touching journey, a spiritual and inspiring journey, a journey for everyone, a journey for Peter, Paul, Mary, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Jack, Jill, and chaps called David who leave their wife and children and go and train and fight with the Taliban and end up in Guantanamo and then write a book about the aforementioned life-touching soul-caressing heart-felt spiritual and inspiring journey that it was though they don't mention the first parts much.
In a journey, at least in the sense the term is used these days, you have about as much agency as a slab of concrete. Things happen to you, maybe; you sure as hell don't make things happen. Who says 'I'm going on a journey to the shops to get some milk'? Who says 'I have sent my finger forth on a journey to probe the left handed cavity of my proboscis?' Does the term 'journey' actually mean anything anymore? Am I embarked on a journey right now as I lounge around in this armchair?
And a very life-touching soul-nourishing heart-felt spiritual and inspiring lounging it is too.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2014 (112)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (275)
- Similar but different
- There comes a point
- Poetry news
- Music-playing devices - for and against
- An extremely humble post
- Gradually solving the world's problems
- Umming, ahhh, errrr, oooh, title!
- I like balloons
- Position vacant
- Continuing the paranoid theme
- Conspiracy most fowl
- Reviews of second-hand books: A Creepy Company
- Decree from on high
- Suggested activity
- International zine awareness day
- An article on the article
- Exciting new Kindle additions
- Train, meet Train, Train, meet train.
- Better hair than bare
- The decay of civilisation and other dangers of abs...
- An extremely nourishing enriching touching inspiri...
- Controversial! Political! Polemical! Post!
- ▼ September (23)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)