kidattypewriter

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Having disposed of my paper towels and my thoughts in the toilet where I found them

The sign in the toilets read, "please dispose of your paper thoughtfully."

Thoughtfully, I thought. But what am I supposed to be thinking of? What if in the very act of being thoughtful, and maybe even of thinking about being thoughtful, I would distract myself from the other important task of disposing paper towels that I had just used to wipe my hands? Are there other toilets around Melbourne that ask you to dispose of your paper brusquely, judiciously, hastily, grumpily, ponderously, sleepily, thankfully, jauntily, merrily, gloomily, or expeditiously? As I stooped over the bin and placed the paper towel in, I thought of myself wiping my hands and furrowing my brow in concentration, and formulating great philosophical theorems while doing so. (Though in fact I was merely thinking about being thoughtful). Or did they just want me to have some idle passing notion, a cheap used ponderance that anybody could have? Just exactly how thoughtful did they want me to be?

And so, having disposed of my paper towels and my thoughts in the toilet where I found them, I wandered off into the world to let the rest of the day have its way with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should like to be asked to dispose of said paper jocundly. A sensor would capture my lunge towards the receptacle and appropriately high-spirited music would then applaud my responsible action.

TimT said...

If they really want us to dispose of the paper thoughtfully, then maybe I should take a pen with me so I can record the thoughts I thoughtfully think on the paper that I am disposing of thoughtfully.

Email: timhtrain - at - yahoo.com.au

eXTReMe Tracker

Blog Archive