Arthur C. Clarke brings the world to an end with an alarming frequency in his stories. I've been reading his book Of Time and Stars which has some seven world-ending, well, ends in about eighteen stories. Mostly he doesn't even bother explaining:
Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out.
If you've read The Nine Billion Names of God, you'll understand why that line is well-nigh unforgettable. In comparison, the world-ending line in No Morning After is just lame:
"Listen, Bill," they continued. "Our scientists have just discovered that your sun is about to explode."
And then there's:
SUPER-BOMB TEST TODAY
What sort of bomb could destroy a world? A super-bomb, of course. What is a super-bomb? What does it do? Who gives a rat's arse anyway?
And this line doesn't end a world or even a minor planetoid, but I liked it anyway:
He could even afford the luxury of a cigarette.
The smoker is wearing a space suit and is standing on a minor moon waiting for someone to pick him up!
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2016 (50)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- ► 2013 (173)
- The power of non-sequiturs compels you
- Interruptus: the Can Do Campbell Newman tongue twi...
- Amazing diet tips for a well-rounded diet!
- Illusive elusive exclusive
- Notes from a day of public transport
- Star Boor
- If the super-bombs don't get you, the cigarettes w...
- Le Hill du Box
- Ask a rhetorical question
- BREAKING NEWS: Russians launch first potato into s...
- Thoughts on rhyming verse
- Need a problem? I can help!
- Survival of the fittest, Lalor edition
- My rooster doesn't work
- I stared into the abyss and the abyss stared back ...
- The Alpenhorns of faith
- Cough cough cough cough coffee
- Imaginary friends
- The moo moo blues
- Ties and Slippers
- ▼ March (22)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)