A cold, impassive poem neither for nor against Australia written this Australia Day.
FACTS ABOUT AUSTRALIA
Australia is a land and a continent in the southern hemisphere.
It bears resemblance, faintly, to a headless camel in a fight with an inverted pyramid.
And there is also Tasmania.
As a nation it is only just over one hundred years old,
Which is actually quite impressive
In a meaningless statistical kind of way,
And it gets even better.
We wear our clothes conventionally,
Except for the exceptions.
Trousers in the vast majority of cases are worn in the ordinary manner,
Only more so.
Some of us have hair.
We belong to a variety of races and sexes and creeds
What is the meaning of 'Australia'?
This question has perplexed many great philosophers
Who have pondered the problem and come up with a diversity of hypothetical difficulties
Which arise from Kantian phenomenology,
Although we don't want to get into that at the moment.
Which is not to say it is a bad thing, a good thing,
Or just a thing thing,
Which is not to say that it isn't.
But it is usually agreed that 'Australia' is the name for Australia.
(See me after class if there are any difficulties.)
Do Australians dream?
It is alleged that it seems likely that in all probability they do,
Of the wind and the stars, of the streets and the forests and the elements,
But I could not possibly comment.
In Australia there are many trees.
One plus one in Australia is commonly accepted to add up to two.
The laws of gravity work in a conventional manner.
Also, there is Tasmania.
These are just a few facts about Australia.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (135)
- High drama on Brunswick Street
- I'll hyphen you
- New devices for feline exploration acquired
- Alleged factualities and factual allegednous about...
- The nine muses of social media
- My new laptop
- New South Welsh
- Buffy, beards, and brand new computers
- Miserables, Les?
- How to stuff a potato
- Cliche Poem
- Iceland the niceland
- How to celebrate New Year
- Culinary contemplations
- ▼ January (14)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)