We're on to season six of Buffy the Vampire Slayer now, and in retrospect, it seems amazing that a show based on such a fundamentally realistic and unfantastical concept (see title) should so constantly test the audience's credulity, and always get away with it. In season five there were a whole bunch of medieval knights on horseback (don't ask) chasing down the heroes in a bus, and bringing them to a halt by spearing the front of the bus. Yes, right. And then of course there was the sudden and unapologetic way Buffy was given her teenage sister, Dawn - in spite of the fact that Dawn had not appeared in any of the previous seasons.
Season six hasn't had too many credulity stretchers so far - apart from the audacious Once more, with feeling, AKA the one where they did a musical. There was an explanation for it all, of course, but as Byron said, I wish he would explain his explanation.
I'm loving it all, though I do have one complaint. Halfway through an early episode of season number six, the colour on our television/DVD set completely disappeared. And now we're having to enjoy the rest of the season in black and white. All those finely nuanced greys, and fights in darkened rooms, or in graveyards at midnight, the dodgy characters working in shady nooks and crannies, librarians shuffling through dusty lightless caverns in between brooding and sombre volumes of books - the rich, impressionistic artistic palette on which Joss Whedon works, from shadow black to general pre-dawn gloom - we're missing out on it all.
Tim, your links stink, you fink!
- John Bangsund's Threepenny Planet
- Broken Biro
- Poetry 24
- Superlative scribbles
- Kirstyn McD!
- Rorrim a tsomla almost a mirror
- More Sterne
- Cam the man from the Dan.
- Too hot to Raaaaaaandallllllll!
- Erin's Excellently Everlasting Effervescements!
- Slammy Infamy
- Hail Paco!
- Baron Blandwagon, purveyor of cyberbunnies, hawker of Roger Corman, and Misruler of the Multiverse
- The Bolta. Aiyeeeeee!!!!!
- Bad Apple Audrey
- The cartoon church
- Sir Martinkus
- A Zemblanian abroad and at home
- A hodge podge of hotzeplotz
- THE SLAMMA!
- Jottlesby's nottings, or should that be Nottlesby's jottings?
- The Snarking of the Hunt
- Jazzy Hands
- David of Metal City
- David the Barista
- The Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony
- Be an Opinion Dominion Minion!
- ... and Fel
- His brilliant career - from whale sushi to crumbed prawn
- Jo Blogs
- Yet another Tim
- Was two peas, now three peas
- ... Still Life - now with extra rotating cats!
- An Amazingly Awesome Australian Ampersand!
- Blink and you'll miss 'er
- Red in the land of the tigers!
- Wire of Vibe
- Chase him, ladies, he's in the cavalry!
- The Non-palindromical Editrix in Germanium
- Old Sterne
- The briefs...
- ... and the brieflets
- The Purple Blog
- Blairville, lair of all that is wicked and perfidious
- The enticingly acronymical CSH
- EXTREEEEEEEME WYNTER!
- Mark of California
- Silent Speaking
- Lexicon the Mexican
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (135)
- The Book Book
- Flop of the pops
- Film review
- Big Bang Bleary
- What didn't happen in politics today, and who wasn...
- Critic critique
- Let me thoughtfully distract your attention from t...
- The Shopping Centre Review, Lalor Hub edition
- Abstruse puns for a Sunday morning
- Soliloquy of the Bones
- Amber reflection
- Confusing myself in preparation for a job intervie...
- Being an argument against fun
- Odd thoughts on odd socks
- Time warp cake
- More Buffy
- ▼ March (17)
- ► 2012 (275)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (288)
- ► 2009 (290)
- ► 2008 (316)
- ► 2007 (392)
- ► 2006 (373)
- ► 2005 (287)